Sunday, July 30, 2006

Feria de San Telmo!

Slowly branching out, beyond Palermo, I made it to the renowned Feria de San Telmo. Basically a huge flea market, street fair, crafts festival that happens every sunday. Despite my late schedule (woke up at 1pm, made it there around 3) it was still very much alive.

It is so great to see a new place with the eyes of a tourist. Unlike my normal jaded perspective on such things, I was so engaged, so entertained by all that I saw. Absurd street performers, lots of crafts, antiques, crapola and of course delicious steak sandwiches to eat on the run.

The eyes of a tourist should always be looking UP. And if they do so in this city they will see such beautiful architecture amid otherwise banal, normal buildings. How can it be that there are these gorgeous buildings, usually 2 stories high, with incredible marble facades, intricate balconies and various other details, and they are just there. Not embassies, not landmarks, just places where people live and/or work, some in perfect condition, many in semi-disrepair, all beautiful. (I know, I need pictures on this blog...)

And even though this street fair is somewhat touristy it is noticeably absent of the usual horde of Americans. And I can't say that I mind that at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home