Friday, August 18, 2006

Success! Spanish Teachers and Museums!!!

After a small quasi-meltdown (see below) I went all out and contacted as many spanish teachers as I could find. I already have met some very nice bilingual folks will to help me with Spanish but they've already become more like friends and so I don't want to burden them nor change the nature of our relationships. Luckily not one but two new teachers appeared readywillingandable to give me lessons.

And, as it turned out, neither of them flaked on me, both are absolutely delightful in every way and I am now completely fluent in Spanish. OK, neither flaked and they are both delightful in every way. My Spanish is, I swear, definitely getting better. (Here's an example of something I can now say with confidence: "Ein Bier bitte!" Pretty good, right?)

Laura, my best friend in BA (yes, I know, I haven't mentioned any names, people, etc. I'm just trying to protect the innocent) stepped up yet again and offered to accompany me to MALBA, the Museo de Arte Latinoamericana de Buenos Aires (or something like that). I was so thrilled to take in art again, like I used to so often. I did, in fact, find the museum to be most enjoyable, but even if I hadn't, it felt great to have that part of my brain stimulated again. They say that LA has no culture and it is most certainly not true. There are plenty of museums, galleries, concerts, etc. The problem is no one really gives a shit about them, never goes, and only laments how little culture they find the time and energy for. (I am as guilty as the rest, lest it be unclear.)

I should also say tht I've made it to the Japanese Gardens, a very quaint public garden with various Japanese elements (bridges, koi, bonzai, zen rock garden, etc.) as well as the zoo, walked through a ton of beautiful public parks, Buenos Aires' Chinatown and lots of other stuff that I've just failed to write about in my boring and most-incomplete blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home